Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Be Aware Of Turmeric Side Effects



Turmeric has traditionally been grown in Asian countries such as Indonesia, but now can be found in various parts of the world. Turmeric is commonly used for seasoning food. However, the underground stems and roots of the plant are also used for medicinal. According to one of the institutes of health, take a dose of about 240 to 500 milligrams of turmeric three times in a day is recommended. Although, turmeric is considered as a safe herb, there are some turmeric side effects that should be realized by every one.

Turmeric is used for most of the curry. It is a spice made ​​from grinding the roots of curcumin and including ginger family. Turmeric is most often used as a spice and color to give food a different taste, other than that turmeric also has a variety of health giving properties. For example, turmeric has a high capability in anti-inflammatory properties. This fact is further proven by research. Turmeric is also good for treating diarrhea, loss of appetite, heartburn, gallbladder disorders and jaundice dl. Despite having health benefits, the use of turmeric in high doses can have some side effects. Have a proper understanding about the turmeric side effects will help to ensure that this spice is used in sufficient quantities.

Turmeric, like other herbs can be used as a drug without a prescription from a doctor. According to a medical university in the United States, taking Coumadin, Plavix or aspirin while taking turmeric can cause difficulties with the blood's ability to clot. Also, some drugs that help reduce stomach acid such as Zantac, Tagamet, Omeprazole, Pepcid, Nexium, and Prevacid can be ineffective and does not work as it should when taking turmeric. Another group of drugs for diabetics can also be affected by turmeric. Turmeric side effect may cause the medicine to diabetics have an increased effectiveness that can cause blood sugar levels to bottom out. This can lead to a sudden diabetic shock which can lead to diabetic coma.

Abdominal pains are other turmeric side effects that can be caused by taking turmeric supplements. Overdose and take more than the recommended dose of turmeric may cause suffer from mild to severe stomach problems. Taking large amounts of turmeric for a long time can cause stomach ulcers stomach. In addition, a person who suffers from sensitive stomachs may experience problems when taking turmeric. For people who suffer from sensitive stomach, take turmeric may cause nausea, heartburn and even vomiting. Therefore, it is important to always consult a doctor before using turmeric. If a problem does occur, immediately stop taking the herb.

Turmeric is very useful for a variety of allergies. However, it can be a double-edged sword. Some people may be allergic to turmeric cause dermatitis or psoriasis, stomach problems, heartburn, etc. Direct contact with turmeric can cause swelling, irritation, and redness of the skin. People, who are allergic to turmeric side effect, should shy away from dishes and foods containing these spices.

Turmeric side effect can arise if turmeric is used too much. Too much using turmeric can inhibit blood clotting process. It can be very risky for patients on blood thinners, such as Plavix and Coumadin. Patients who will undergo any operation, and taking blood thinning agents, must refrain from the use of turmeric, at least, one or two weeks prior to surgery. Turmeric also be avoided during pregnancy because it will encourage menstruation and increase the risk of miscarriage.

You might also like : 

39 comments:

  1. I always like your blog post because you always comes with different ideas and information. I always shared your site post with my friends. Keep posting and i will follow you.
    Thyrosense

    ReplyDelete
  2. I start every day with an avocado smoothie which contains about 10 - 15 grams of fresh turmeric. Would you say that is too much? I use Nexium to reduce stomach acid, but have never felt that they dont work when eating turmeric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get off the Nexium it's the worst thing ever
      Quit eating late after 7pm or so
      Studies show it can cause more problems and heartburn to worsen ...

      Delete
  3. I actually think that is a very poor article, no mention of what a high dose is, no mention that all scientific studies that have found problems have been carried out with curcumin and not turmeric, its also poorly written.
    No where is it stated what a safe dose is.

    All this article does is scare people away from a fantastic spice that is changing peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turmeric is part of Curry and used in indian food (ayurvedic) for a serious reason...its antibacterial effect (please note that we have GOOD bacteria in our digestion system) avoids problems in typical traditional indian cuisine, where bacteria can't be avoided. No the marketeers are looking for new sources of revenue....and found Tumeric to sell this outside India for the WELLBEING of everybody.
      It will take some time to convince a person in the western world that they really need this...but finally it will work :D :D During this attraction period these people loose their balance and chase whatever will be announced to be good....thats why we are getting sicker, even we have global access to any food/nutrient/drug.....we lost connection to ourselves/nature/homeland, we lost balance

      Delete
    2. My stomach was cramping and hurting for 24 hours after each time I used heavy amounts as just a spice mixed with other spices. So I cut out the tumeric and it stopped. Then I made a spice shaker of dry spices with tumeric and it happened again. It's not a myth. Some people just cannot tolerate this spice. Btw I can use hot sauce like ketchup, so it has nothing to do with heat tolerance. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    3. Thanks SoCal cooksg spent evening in ER. Most horrible stomach pain.,(and I'm tough) trying now to discover why since hospital found no cause for pain.

      Delete
    4. I took "curcuma longa ext. equiv. to dry rhizome 3.1g equiv. curcuminoids 100mg" capsules labelled as Turmeric 3100 and experienced severe stomach cramps which ceased upon cessation of dose. Since then, I have eaten a small portion of a hummus product "flavored with turmeric" and experienced the same problems. If this article scares people it is a good thing as from all the anecdotal evidence I have read it can have very adverse side effects.

      Delete
    5. Yes, I must agree. Twice I have put it in my morning smoothie and both times ended up with severe , and I mean severe vomiting. I know that tumeric has many long known benefits, but for me it is simply out of the question. Maybe down the road I can try again with VERY small amounts and ease slowly into it. Or perhaps I don't need it, not really sure. I could be allergic. I had put about a teaspoon in fyi.

      Delete
    6. I notice a lot of popular medications are affected by this commonly used spice but no scientific data or source to back it up. Can't always believe what you read in blogs I was trying to find out how much is too much. I make a big pitcher of ginger green tea and add fresh turmeric when I have it, and I grow it. I used a heaping tablespoon and wondered if that is too much. FYI ginger and a dash of pepper help turmeric be absorbed otherwise. And since I drink this tea with a meal, I am getting max absorption. Perhaps that is the missing ingredient.... fats are needed for absorption.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need to really understand this..overdose causes nausea and stomach ulcers?..it thought wl cure..###

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need to really understand this..overdose causes nausea and stomach ulcers?..it thought wl cure..###

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking turmeric has caused my stomach ulcer over time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking turmeric has caused my stomach ulcer over time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the curcumin product (from tumeric) has cause me gastrointestinal distress. High dose. Nausea, upset stomach, gas, burping, gurgling, chills. Waiting for it to go away. Stopped taking it 2 days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am experiencing the same thing. I had a bridesmaid version of diarrhea that turned into vomiting and could keep nothing down for 2 days. If I stand up it feels like my guts are going to fall out and if you put pressure on stomach it it extremely tender. Finally have keep down some Advil for the headache.

      Delete
    2. I'm experiencing the same thing. Upset stomach, swollen stomach and reflux. I'm on a Rx antacid and the turmeric has rendered it useless. Unfortunately I must stop taking it. I was hoping for good results in alleviating my arthritis pain.

      Delete
    3. What is considered a 'high dose"? I take 1200 mg/day, 30 minutes before a meal w/an 8 oz glass of water. I definitely feel that the arthritis in my hands has improved significantly.

      Delete
    4. I have read about dosages of 1 x 1000mg up to 3 x 600mg (1800mg) per day. I have actually read not to exceed 1000mg per day.

      I am going to play it safe and change my dosage to 2 x500mg (1000mg) day. My logic is I am still taking the recommended dose but not hitting my organs with such an intense shot.

      Glad to hear it is helping your arthritis!

      Delete
  10. It does lower the high glucose level but it upsets my stomach. Is there a way to take this that I can have the benefit without the upset.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turmeric and I don’t get along. I eat paleo and have a fairly balanced system but with each introduction of tumeric I have serious bowl disruptions , cramps and bloating. Sadly , the benefits of tumeric will be passed over by this organism. Thank you for the great article !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent and helpful post.I am so glad to left comment on this. This has been a so interesting ..I appreciate your effort..
    Turmeric pills canada

    ReplyDelete
  13. My experience is totally different. Im feeling contractions pain after taking turmeric for few days.its so painfull i dont know if its related to turmeric or something else..is there someone else who experienced same..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am experiencing the same thing which led me to this article. I only started taking Tumeric (The Vitamin Shoppe triple strength turmeric with curcumin 900mg) about 3 weeks ago. After the first week I started having cramping like contractions really bad at night. I take the Tumeric with a last snack before bed. I stopped taking it, and didn't have the pain again after a couple of days. I will have to discontinue use.

      Delete
  14. Hi
    is any body feeling sexual sides after using curcumin/turmeric like low libido or erectile dysfunction. Also did these side effects go away after stopping it? Please share your experience with me sp1@live.ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad to left comment. I enjoying reading this article.please publishing turmeric curcumin like this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Professionally composed web journals are uncommon to discover, be that as it may I welcome every one of the focuses specified here. I likewise need to incorporate some other written work abilities which everybody must mindful of. Probiotics supplement singapore

    ReplyDelete

  17. Did you know #curcumin is the primary active ingredient in turmeric? It's responsible for both #turmeric’s brilliant golden color and many of its health benefits!

    Turmeric Curcumin Supplement

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks turmeric curcumin

    ReplyDelete
  19. my experience is saying the curcumin is having so many healthy benefits for our health. i will want to read your blog more. i like curcumin products like curcumin ayurvedic tea,curcumin tea and many more products. which made with curcumin.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hii thanks for your articles. i really like it. turmeric is having so many health benefits. and mostly used in asian country like india. but i love the turmeric tea,curcumin supplement for digestionand much more about turmeric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a little surprised by the article, I discovered using tumeric curcumin for cancer trials and using a muchi higher dosage than what folks are saying. I think there is a large difference is using the spice vs. perhaps capsule form. I take 6000 mg of tumeric each day and have no noticeable side effects, I brew it with my coffee grinds, along with cinnamon. I think, you should, obviously listen to your body, if it doesn't like it, don't use it. I would have been interested in the IV trials for cancer, they were making headway until they lost their funding. I suspect much more investigation is needed. Different medical fields, seem to like different things, I find western medicine does not like alternative health idea's. It's too bad that you don't link other articles to this to give more credibility. This is the only article I can find that lists any kind of side effects.

    ReplyDelete

  22. Hii thanks for this articles.I really appreciate it.if you want to know about ayurvedic,curcumin products than visit us:
    preserva wellness
    Curcumin Tea
    Curcumin Tea
    Curcumin Tea
    Turmeric Tea
    Turmeric Tea
    Turmeric Tea

    ReplyDelete